Keith,

I checked this, but it might not be the case as ! is
not followed by \ as specified in the link you have
given below and it is not used in java prog, it is
used in batch file which calls ANT script.

Could anybody pls tell me which escape characher could
be used for ! in command below:(I've tried a lot like
'/' or &#33 but couldn't find it) so that path is
found

java -classpath %CP% org.apache.tools.ant.Main
-buildfile "C:\Program Files\Some!Path\AntMainDir"

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/net/JarURLConnection.html)