From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:bode...@apache.org]
Sent: 16 November 2017 08:54
To: user@ant.apache.org
Subject: Re: GenJar

On 2017-11-16, RAPPAZ Francois wrote:

> Someone on this list pointed me to the BCEL parser, and I have
> corrected the bug in GenJar which now use that parser to get the
> classes a class file depends on.

> My GenJar is working again in Ant.

great.

> I tried to communicate with the person who was managing the GenJar
> project on Sourceforge, and I suppose including this correction to
> make version 1.0.3 (1.0.2 exists since 2003). But if I can't
> communicate with him, can someone suggest me a way to distribute this
> corrected version ?

> One more thing: I could make myself a sourceforge project with this,
> but I'm an old guy, and will be retired in a few years, so the
> question will surface again...

If you cannot make the original maintainer create a new release then this
likely is the best way going forward. Where Sourceforge is only one option and
there would be alternative hosting sites for open source projects. It takes
people of a certain age to know how to deal with Sourceforge (I am old enough
;-).

Fortunately starting an open source project doesn't force you to support it for
the rest of your life. Just like the original author may say "I haven't touched
the code in more than ten years" so can you do. If in a few years somebody
feels like using your version and neeeding a fix they'll be able to fork your
version and create an adapted one if you are no longer able or willing to do it
yourself.

That's all my personal opinion, of course, so take it with a grain of salt.

If the only alternatives are

* you keep the improvement for yourself and nobody else benefits from it

* you fork the project and published the improved version at the risk of
  having somebody else do the same to your project again in a few years

I'd prefer the second one.

Hope this helps in any way

     Stefan