A value of null means that the scope wasn't specified in the XML. We have to
return null because in the blueprint specification the default scope of a bean
is context specific. Top level beans default to being singleton. Inner beans
default to being prototype.
When we're parsing snippets we don't have that context information, so we have
to return null.
Regards

Tim Ward
Apache Aries PMC member & Enterprise OSGi advocate
Enterprise OSGi in Action (http://www.manning.com/cummins)