Hi Brad,

I’ve been watching this thread for a while, and you’ve finally managed to draw
me in :)

On 12 Jul 2016, at 17:42, Brad Johnson
<brad.john...@mediadriver.com<mailto:brad.john...@mediadriver.com>> wrote:

Guillaume,

I'm still using Blueprint and have found Camel/SCR to be a pain to work with.
It provides no tangible benefit if one is using Blueprint for routes and
dependency injection anyway as it simply introduces one more way of configuring
things. It was interesting to read the other day that Christian seems to have
the same impression of the complexity of SCR.  I remember when I first tried I
thought it looked pretty cool but started running into problems.

So what you’re comparing here isn’t really apples with apples. A long way back
Camel provided a bunch of Spring XML sugar to make configuring Camel simpler.
This was obviously a good thing because setting up Camel was (and is) hard. To
this day people still use the Spring syntax for building their Camel routes.
OSGi blueprint was effectively a move by Spring to standardise the Spring DM
container, and so unsurprisingly blueprint looks a lot like Spring. Some people
did the work to port the Camel Spring configuration to OSGi blueprint, and
that’s why Camel is easy to use in blueprint.

If someone actually spent some time putting together a nice integration with
SCR then I’m sure that using SCR would be at least as easy as blueprint. The
problem here is that relatively few SCR developers/users use Camel, and the
ones that do are just told to “use blueprint”.

That DS is in its second generation and only now getting around to transactions
is telling.  Either it has reached its natural boundaries and is now
over-reaching or wasn’t full thought out.

DS is actually working on its fifth release, and transactions are nowhere to be
seen. You may be referring to the Transaction Control specification, which is
separate from DS. They can be used together very effectively, but you could
equally use Transaction Control with blueprint.

DS is actually one of the “good citizens” of the DI world in that it
deliberately does less in order to do it well. There’s no dependency proxying,
no aspects, just the code that you wrote injected with some other code that
someone wrote.

To me it's a component and service bootstrapping mechanism which represents a
small portion of the world I work in - transforms, routing, EIPs, etc.  I've no
reason to embrace it or deny it unless it either makes my job much easier or I
can't live without it.  So far adding Camel SCR and DS into the middleware just
results in one more thing I have to deal with.

This is a perfectly acceptable viewpoint. If the fundamental limitations of the
blueprint model aren’t a problem for you then switching right now is almost
certainly unnecessary.

I think Blueprint works well these days and has come a long way in the past 3
years.  The Aries team is to be commended for some great work.

Aries Blueprint has had a lot of extensions and improvements over the last
three years. Sadly the same cannot be said for the specifications or other
implementations. Aries Blueprint is very much the last implementation standing,
and there has been no effort to standardise the new features (or even to try
fixing the problems with the original standard). The set of RFPs/RFCs for
blueprint that have been sitting idle in the OSGi Alliance is very telling.

As far as Aries blueprint is concerned, the main reason that it is still alive
seems to be the fact that it was included in Karaf, and that Karaf provides
Camel integration alongside it. Even Karaf itself is starting to move to use DS
internally, offering blueprint as something for applications to use.

I’ve been surprised by the near religious zeal of some of the DS advocates.

Most OSGi developers I know (myself included) who really start to use DS
consider it to be roughly equivalent to magic. The fact that the model can be
as simple as it is and yet still flexible, correct and safe is both surprising
and pleasing. Moving back to “not DS” is usually pretty painful and reminds
people why they love DS so much.

I'll be interested in seeing the DS semantics and proxies for CDI. Heh. Proxies
are another technology that I don't care about one way or the other as long as
things work well and don't require a lot of configuration.  So it’s great if we
can get rid of proxies but not so great if I now have to trade that off for
configuration of start up order on services to make sure everything is running
before Camel routes come up.

Actually, this is one of the places where DS really shines. If you write a DS
component properly (i.e. without trying to dig out of the DS lifecycle) then
startup ordering ceases to be an issue.

Again, someone with a little time and expertise would probably find that Camel
+ DS can be a really effective solution. The problem is finding the person who
has the time, expertise and inclination…

Tim Ward

Apache Aries PMC Member,
OSGi IoT Expert Group Chair,
Author Enterprise OSGi in Action
timothyjw...@apache.org<mailto:timothyjw...@apache.org>

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 10:57 AM, Guillaume Nodet