Any log write latency will be reflected in the overall latency of the
request. Increased request latency is one of the main ways any server has
of telling a client that it's under load. It's then up to the client to
react to this.

If you want to throw error codes, you can put a proxy in front of Aurora
that has request timeouts - which would send 503s to clients. But the issue
with that is the requests are mostly non-idempotent so you'll need to build
reconciliation logic into it.