Hello!

A bit tongue in cheek: the one advantage of the current Avro JSON
encoding is that it drives users rapidly to prefer the binary
encoding!  In its current state, Avro isn't really a satisfactory
toolkit for JSON interoperability, while it shines for binary
interoperability. Using JSON with Avro schemas is pretty unwieldy and
a JSON data designer will almost never be entirely satisfied with the
JSON "shape" they can get... today it's useful for testing and
debugging.

That being said, it's hard to argue with improving this experience
where it can help developers that really want to use Avro JSON for
data transfer, especially for things accepting JSON where the
intention is clearly unambiguous or allowing optional attributes to be
missing.  I'd be enthusiastic to see some of these improvements,
especially if we keep the possibility of generating strict Avro JSON
for forwards and backwards compatibility.

My preference would be to avoid adding JSON-specific attributes to the
spec where possible.  Maybe we could consider implementing Avro JSON
"variants" by implementing encoder options, or alternative encorders
for an SDK. There's probably a nice balance between a rigorous and
interoperable (but less customizable) JSON encoding, and trying to
accommodate arbitrary JSON in the Avro project.

All my best and thanks for this analysis -- I'm excited to see where
this leads!  Ryan