to answer myself:
I should have said I am creating the PCollection<Data> using Create.of which
apparently leads to this getDefaultCoder() implementation:
CoderRegistry.getDefaultCoder(T exampleValue) which doesn't try inspecting the
annotation (as opposed CoderRegistry.getDefaultCoder(Class<T> clazz) ). So I
guess I have to explicitly use the create.of().withCoder().
antony.