I think it's also related to the discussion Romain raised on the dev mailing list (gap between batch size, checkpointing & bundles).

Regards
JB

On 11/15/2017 09:53 AM, Etienne Chauchot wrote:
Hi Chet,

What you say is totally true, docs written using ElasticSearchIO will always have an ES generated id. But it might change in the future, indeed it might be a good thing to allow the user to pass an id. Just in 5 seconds thinking, I see 3 possible designs for that.

a.(simplest) use a json special field for the id, if it is provided by the user in the input json then it is used, auto-generated id otherwise.

b. (a bit less user friendly) PCollection<KV> with K as an id. But forces the user to do a Pardo before writing to ES to output KV pairs of <id, json>

c. (a lot more complex) Allow the IO to serialize/deserialize java beans and have an String id field. Matching java types to ES types is quite tricky, so, for now we just relied on the user to serialize his beans into json and let ES match the types automatically.

Related to the problems you raise bellow:

1. Well, the bundle is the commit entity of beam. Consider the case of ESIO.batchSize being < to bundle size. While processing records, when the number of elements reaches batchSize, an ES bulk insert will be issued but no finishBundle. If there is a problem later on in the bundle processing before the finishBundle, the checkpoint will still be at the beginning of the bundle, so all the bundle will be retried leading to duplicate documents. Thanks for raising that! I'm CCing the dev list so that someone could correct me on the checkpointing mecanism if I'm missing something. Besides I'm thinking about forcing the user to provide an id in all cases to workaround this issue.

2. Correct.

Best,
Etienne