On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 3:59 PM, Lukasz Cwik <lc...@google.com> wrote:

> The optimization that you have done is that you have forced the V1
> iterable to reside in memory completely since it is now counted as a single
> element. This will fall apart as soon your V1 iterable exceeds memory.
> Runners like Dataflow allow re-iteration of a GBK/CoGBK result allowing
> for the GBK/CoGBK result to exceed the size of memory and this currently
> only functions at the first level within the value iterable, meaning that
> the entire Iterable<V1> is treated as a single value in your
> Join.someJoin. You should see similar performance if you take all the V1s
> out of the CoGBK and "copy" it into an arraylist inside your DoFn and then
> walk the V2 iterable and the in memory array list performing the outer
> join. It will also likely be easier to reason about. Note that Dataflow
> doesn't do this in a great way and causes the re-iteration to happen many
> more times then it should need to which is why your perf numbers are
> ballooning.

Not sure, are you referring to (1) or (2) of my original?

So (2) did fail with full production load. The join has 2+ billion elements
on both sides.

> Alternatively, have you tried putting either of the PCollection<K, V (V1
> or V2)> into a multimap side input and then just doing a GBK on the other
> PCollection<K, V (V2 or V1)> followed by a DoFn that joins the two together
> with the multimap side input?
> The choice of whether V1 or V2 works better in the side input depends on
> the sizes of the relative PCollections and whether the working set of the
> PCollection can be cached in memory (good for side input) or the GBK
> PCollection is sparse enough that if everything is cache miss it won't
> matter.

I'll try this. K:V2 has unique keys and doesn't change a lot from
day-to-day, so I'll make that a side input. Should I expect this method to
perform significantly slower than Join.someJoin/CoGBK?