Another thing I've realised is that the stacktrace suggests it is using
SerializerCoder instead of the MessageWithAttributesCoder custom one I have
implemented. See it here: https://pastebin.com/86gWddi9

Is it possible that, upon updates, custom coders are not chosen? To give a
little more context. The MessageWithAttribtues object is contained within a
KV and a kept in a stateful/timely processing step. The coder is set before
that stateful step via .setCoder(KVCoder.of(StringUtf8Coder.of(),
MessageWithAttribtuesCoder.of())) and the exception is thrown when the
buffered items are flushed out.

Thanks!