For now I suggest that you augment your AvroIO.parse() with
.withHintMatchesManyFiles() because it appears to match a very large number
of tiny files, and I think that's what's causing the issue.

By default Dataflow uses 1 shard per file, and that causes 2 problems here:
- Each of these shards writes a separate file to be loaded into BigQuery,
so BigQuery has to load this many (tiny) files, which is not great.
- What's worse, the ReifyResults step takes this list of written temporary
files as a side input, and given Dataflow's way of materializing side
inputs, it behaves pretty bad when the data for the side input is written
from a very large number of shards.

I'm not sure there's an easy fix to make your original code perform well
unchanged, but .withHintMatchesManyFiles() should make it perform orders of
magnitude better.