Most runners are written in Java while others are cloud offerings which
wouldn't work for your use case which limits you to use the direct runner
(not meant for production/high performance applications). Beam Python SDK
uses cython for performance reasons but I don't believe it strictly
requires it as many unit tests run with and without cython enabled.
Integrations between Beam and third party libraries may require it though
so it likely depends on what you plan to do.