Yes, it’s a known limitation [1] mostly due to the fact that KafkaIO.Read is
based on UnboundedSource API and it fetches all information about topic and
partitions only once during a “split" phase [2]. There is on-going work to make
KafkaIO.Read based on Splittable DoFn [3] which should allow to get
topic/partitions information dynamically, without restarting a pipeline.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-727
[2]
https://github.com/apache/beam/blob/8a54c17235f768f089b36265d79e69ee9b27a2ce/sdks/java/io/kafka/src/main/java/org/apache/beam/sdk/io/kafka/KafkaUnboundedSource.java#L54
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-9977