The KafkaIO implementation relies on checkpointing to be able to update the
last committed offset. This is currently unsupported in the portable Flink
runner. BEAM-6868[1] is the associated JIRA. Please vote on it and/or offer
to provide an implementation.

1: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-6868