If the connections are being made by individual PHP processes running from
the command line, they shouldn't be using the same connection.  Should my
code close the connections after each query and open a new one?

Here is the flow of what is happening when we get the error:
1. Get a set of items from remote API
2. Insert all of the items into the items CF. (usually anywhere from 2 - 200
items)
3. Query the correct index for all entries within a particular time frame
(which is determined by the timeframe of the results of step 1)
4. Compare keys in index to keys of items inserted in step 2.
5. Insert new index columns for items which aren't already in the index.

I am getting the "unknown result" error during step 3.

Lee