On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 11:54 AM, Mark Jones <mjo...@imagehawk.com> wrote:
> When I look at this arrangement, I see one lookup by key for the user,
> followed by a large read for all the "email indexes"  (these are all columns
> in the same row, right?)
>
> Then one lookup by key for each email....  Seems very seek intensive.

Do you need to grab every single email every single time?  Seems to me
you only need the recent ones or a page full.  A single multiget would
do it, and the load is spread across the cluster.

> Ok, so If I do it this way, the # of keys rapidly goes into the billions,
> does that not cause other problems?

Not generally.  Cassandra is built to handle enormous numbers of rows
efficiently.

>Seems like many more data/index files....

Only if you aren't compacting for some reason.