On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 4:31 PM, AJ Chen <ajc...@web2express.org> wrote:

> supercolumn is good for modeling profile type of data. simple example is
> blog:
> blog { blog {author,  title, ...}
>          comments   {time: commenter}  //sort by TimeUUID
> }
> when retrieving a blog, you get all the comments sorted by time already.
> without supercolumn, you would need to concatenate multiple comment times
> together as you suggested.
>
> requiring user to concatenating data fields together is not only an extra
> burden on user but also a less clean design.  there will be cases where the
> list property of a profile data is a long list (say a million items). in
> such cases, user wants to be able to directly insert/delete an item in that
> list because it's more efficient.  Retrieving the whole list, updating it,
> concatenating again, and then putting it back to datastore is awkward and
> less efficient.

There's nothing you said here that can't be implemented efficiently using
columns. You can slice rows and get a subset of Columns. In fact, this
example is particularly easy to implement. If you have a Blog with Entries
and Comments you'd do:

  <ColumnFamily Name="Blog" CompareWith="UTF8Type" />

  Insert blog post:
    batch_mutate(key=<blog post id>, [{name="~post:author", value=<author>},
{name="~post:title", value=<title>, ...))
  Insert comment:
    batch_mutate(key=<blog post id>, [{name=<TimeUUID> + ":author", ... }]

Then you can get the Post only (slice for ["~", ""]), the comments only
(slice for ["", "~"]), or the post _and_ comments (slice for ["", ""]).
Inserting a comment does _not_ require a get/concatenate/insert.

Yes, concatenating the names on the client side is hacky, clunky, and
inconvenient. That's why we _should_ build an interface that doesn't require
the client to concatenate names. But SuperColumns aren't the right way to do
it. They add no value. They could be implemented in client libraries, for
example, and nobody would know the difference.

To really understand the problem with SuperColumns, though, you need to look
at the Cassandra source. Removing SuperColumns would make the code-base much
cleaner and tighter, and would probably reduce SLOC by 20%. I think a
replacement that assumed nested Columns (or Entries, or Thingies) would be
much cleaner. That's what Stu is working on.

Mike