Defining at runtime is, very intentionally, an absolute must.  It
would have been very simple and perhaps user-friendly to add a flag
that loads the schema specified in yaml when cassandra starts up.  I
decided against it when implementing the feature because I figured it
would have been a disservice if users were constantly over-writing
existing schema unintentionally.

Gary.