1) Thats the general approach http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/FAQ#iter_world for Not sure why you think it will run into an infinite looop.

2) Not sure what your question is here. You either need to maintain the indexes yourself (by using a CF where the cols are the keys for another CF) or use the secondary indexes coming in v 0.7. *But* you should experiment with different ways to donormalise your data to remove the need for indexes. The best design is where you make a single request to a single CF.

3) See the FAQ http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/FAQ#range_ghosts When doing a get_range_slices it's best to test the number of columns returned for each row to see if it has what you expected.

4) Not sure what the question is, perhaps this section on Consistency will help http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/ArchitectureOverview

5) GUI clients http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/FAQ#gui

There is a lot of information in the Wiki.

Aaron