On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 4:54 AM, Jedd Rashbrooke
<jedd.rashbro...@imagini.net> wrote:
> On 8 October 2010 02:05, Matthew Dennis <mden...@riptano.com> wrote:
>> Also, in general, you probably want to set Xms = Xmx (regardless of the
>> value you eventually decide on for that).
>
>  Matthew - we'd just about reached that conclusion!  Is it as big an
>  issue for clusters that are up for days at a time, with maybe Xmx:3G?
>  I'd kind of assumed that it'd get to its max pretty quickly.  I haven't
>  been watching that with jconsole, but might watch it on the next startup.

The main reason to set Xms=Xmx is so mlockall can tag the entire heap
as "don't swap this out" on startup.  Secondarily whenever the heap
resizes upwards the JVM does a stop-the-world gc, but no, not really a
big deal when your uptime is in days or weeks.

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra