I checked and /etc/security/limits.conf on redhat supports zero (0) to
mean unlimited.  Here is the sample from the man page.  Notice the
soft core entry.

EXAMPLES
       These are some example lines which might be specified in
       /etc/security/limits.conf.

       *               soft    core            0
       *               hard    rss             10000
       @student        hard    nproc           20
       @faculty        soft    nproc           20
       @faculty        hard    nproc           50
       ftp             hard    nproc           0
       @student        -       maxlogins       4