In this case, it sounds like you should combine columns A and B if you
are writing them both at the same time, reading them both at the same
time, and need them to be consistent.

Obviously, you're probably dealing with more than two columns here, but
there's generally not any value in splitting something into multiple columns
if you're always writing and reading all of them at the same time.

Or are you talking about chunking huge blobs across a row?

- Tyler