Here's some slides I did last year that have a simple explanation of RF
http://www.slideshare.net/mobile/aaronmorton/well-railedcassandra24112010-5901169

Short version is, generally no single node contains all the data in the db.
Normally the RF is going to be less than the number of nodes, and the higher
the rf the number of concurrent node failure you can handle (when writing at
Quorum).

- at rf3 you can keep reading and writing with 1 node down. If you lose a
second node the cluster will appear to be down for a portion of the keys. The
portion depends on the total number of nodes.
- at rf 5 the cluster will be up for all keys if you have 2 nodes down. If you
have 3 down the cluster will appear down for only a portion of the keys, again
the portion depends on the total number of nodes.

Its a bit more complicated though, when I say 'node is down' I mean one of the
nodes that the key would have been written to is down (the 3 or 5 above). So if
you had 10 nodes, rf 5, you could have 4 nodes down and the cluster be
available for all keys. So long as there are still 3 "natural endpoints" for
each key.

Hope that helps.

Aaron