Try using the private ipv4 address in the rpc_address field, and the public
ipv4 (NOT the elastic ip) in the listen_address.

If that fails, go back to rpc_address empty, and start up cassandra.

Then from the other node, please telnet to port 7000 on the first node.  And
show the output of that session in your reply.

I haven't actually constructed a cross-region cluster nor have I used v0.7,
but this really sounds like it should be easy.