Cacti and Munin are great for graphing, nagios is good for monitoring.

I wrote a very simple JMX proxy that you can send a request to and it retrieves
the desired JMX beans.

there are jmx proxys out there if you don't want to write your own, for example
http://code.google.com/p/polarrose-jmx-rest-bridge/

There is even a JMX proxy that integrates with nagios.  I don't remember the
name but google will help you.