I know cloudkick is doing something like this, and we're developing our own
in-house method, but it would be nice for there to be a generically-available
package that would do this.  Lately I've been wishing that someone would take
graphite (written in python) and put the frontend on top of cassandra instead
of their proprietary whisper databases.  The counter support in 0.8 should help
with keeping the rollups up-to-date.