Index queries (ColumnFamilyStore.scan) don't do any low-level i/o
themselves, they go through CFS.getColumnFamily, which is what normal
row fetches also go through.  So if there is a leak there it's
unlikely to be specific to indexes.

What is your open-file limit (remember that sockets count towards
this), thread count, sstable count?

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra