Thanks for the quick response!. I will reconsider the schema.

However, the problem troubles me somehow. How are schema changes supposed to
be done? Should I serialize them, should I halt other cluster operations
while I do the schema change? Is this a known problem with cassandra?

The other question, and I think the more important one for me now: how do I
repair the cluster without loosing data once the schemas diverge? Right now
the only way I have is erase all data and have the cluster start empty.
Should this problem ever happen in production, it's important there's a way
to recover the data.