Checking the simple things first, are you using the
o.a.c.service.EmbeddedCassandraService or  the o.a.c.EmbeddedServer in the unit
test directory ? The later deletes data, but it does not sound like you are
using it.

When the server starts it should read any commit logs, roll them forward and
then flush all the changes to SSTables. Which will result in the log files been
deleted from disk, and you should see INFO level log messages that say
"Discarding obsolete commit log:..."

Do you get new SSTables written at start up ?

If you wanted to confirm the data was there take a look at bin/sstable2json

Hope that helps.
Aaron