If you are not going to be multi-region straight away, but wish to be in the
near future I would consider:

- 1 region
- 2 AZ's, with the same number of nodes
- Using the EC2Snitch as is, this will map to 1 cassandra DC and 2 cassandra
Racks
- Using the NetworkTopology strategy

For background see this excellent discussion from Peter
http://www.mail-archive.com/user@cassandra.apache.org/msg12092.html and jump
into NetworkTopologyStrategy.calculateNaturalEndpoints() if you are so inclined.

In each DC the NTS will first spread the replicas across each rack (aws AZ). It
then choses replicas based on token order.

I thinking you may be able to spread the replicas evenly across the racks (aws
AZ), so that a total failure of one AZ means the cassadra DC still has enough
nodes in the other AZ to continue working, this would mean a high RF in the DC
(4 or 6 say). Not 100% sure, but I think thats correct.

The reason for doing would be to make life easier in the future when you want
to add another DC. You would update the options for the NTS replication
strategy and add the DC with the correct RF, then run repair.

Hope that helps.
Aaron