I want to create a custom RPM of Cassandra (so I can deploy it pre-configured).
There is an RPM in the source tree, but it does not contain any details of the
setup required to create the RPM (what files should I have where). I have tried
to run rpmbuild -bi on the spec file and I am getting the following error:

/root/rpmbuild/BUILD/apache-cassandra-0.8.0-beta1-src/build.xml:187: name, file
or resource attribute of typedef is undefined

In case you were wondering what line 187 is, it is part of the
maven-ant-tasks-init target and is:
<typedef uri="antlib:org.apache.maven.artifact.ant"
classpathref="maven-ant-tasks.classpath" />