I think for CQL there is two different things:
  1) how the request will look like. I think that it is what Eric is
      refering to when he says "colon delimited". So a query will
      look like "SELECT foo:42:bar ...."
  2) and there is the actual byte format  in which the column name will
      be stored in Cassandra.

I think what you are interested in is 2). My opinion is that it will make a
lot of sense to use the CompositeType of CASSANDRA-2231 for that
and I don't think why it would not (Eric can correct me). However,
absolutely none of this is set in stone and if you code against that
assumption, let it be clear that there is no guarantee whatsoever about
what will be chosen for 1) and for 2).

--
Sylvain