How do you delete the data in the cli ? Is it a row delete e.g. del
MyCF['my-key'];

What client are you using the insert the row the second time ? e.g. custom
thrift wrapper or pycassa

How is the second read done, via the cli ?

Does the same test work when you only use your app ?

Cassandra-cli will be using the current time as it's time stamp for the delete.
If I had to guess what was happening it would be a problem with the timestamps
your app is creating.

Thanks

Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer