On Tue, 31 May 2011 13:23:36 -0500
Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Have you read http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/CassandraHardware ?

I had, but it was a while ago so I guess I kind of deserved an RTFM! :-)

After re-reading it, I still want to know:

* If we disregard the performance hit caused by having the commitlog on
  the same physical device as parts of the data, are there any other
  grave effects on Cassandra's functionality with a setup like that?

* How does Cassandra handle a case where one of the disks in a striped
  RAID0 partition goes bad and is replaced? Is the only option to wipe
  everything from that node and reinit the node, or will it handle
  corrupt files? I.e, what's the recommended thing to do from an
  operations point of view when a disk dies on one of the nodes in a
  RAID0 Cassandra setup? What will cause the least risk for data loss?
  What will be the fastest way to get the node up to speed with the
  rest of the cluster?

Thanks,
\EF