"Help me out here.  I'm trying to visualize a situation where the clients
can access all the C* nodes but the nodes can't access each other.  I don't
see how that can happen on a regular ethernet subnet in one data center.
 Well, I"m sure there is a case that you can point out.  Ok, I will concede
that this is an issue for some network configurations."

First rule of designing/developing/operating distributed systems: assume
anything and everything can and will happen, regardless of network
configuration or hardware.

This specific situation actually HAS happened to me. Our Cassandra nodes
accept client connections on one ethernet interface on one network (the
production network) yet communicate with each other on a separate ethernet
interface on a separate network which is Cassandra specific. This was done
mainly due to the relatively large inter-node Cassandra bandwidth
requirements in comparison to client bandwidth requirements. At one point,
the switch for the cassandra network went down so clients could connect yet
the cassandra nodes could not talk to eachother. (We write at ONE and read
at ALL so everything behaved as expected).