A good example for what I understand in using Hector / pycassa / etc.
is, if you wanted to implement connection pooling, you would have to
craft your own solution, versus implementing the solution that is
tested and ready to go, provided by Hector.  Thrift doesn't provide
native connection pooling ...?

There are a few scenarios / examples where using a library that
abstracts the Thrift bindings will make your life easier ... and they
are maintained and up to date generally in alignment with new releases
of Cassandra.  That's a +1 for me ...

Nothing stops you from using Thrift .. depends on how much work you
want to implement yourself.
-sd