http://cassandra-user-incubator-apache-org.3065146.n2.nabble.com/Storing-photos-images-docs-etc-td6078278.html

Of significance from that link (which was great until feeling lucky
was removed...):

Google of terms cassandra large files + feeling lucky
http://www.google.com/search?q=cassandra+large+files&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Yields:
http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/FAQ#large_file_and_blob_storage

--- store your images / documents / etc. somewhere and reference them
in Cassandra.  That's the consensus that's been bandied about on this
list quite frequently.  we employ a solution that uses Amazon S3 for
storage and Cassandra as the reference to the meta data and location
of the files.  works a treat