I think that Les's question was reasonable. Why *not* ask the community for the
'gotchas'?

Whether the info is already documented or not, it could be an opportunity to
improve the documentation based on users' perception.

The "you just have to learn" responses are fair also, but that reminds me of
the days when running Oracle was a black art, and accumulated wisdom made DBAs
irreplaceable.

Some recommendations *are* documented, but they are dispersed / stale /
contradictory / or counter-intuitive.

Others have not been documented in the wiki nor in DataStax's doco, and are
instead learned anecdotally or The Hard Way.

For example, whether documented or not, some of the 'gotchas' that I
encountered when I first started working with Cassandra were:

* Don't use OpenJDK. Prefer the Sun JDK. (Wiki says this, Jira says that).
* Its not viable to run without JNA installed.
* Disable swap memory.
* Need to run nodetool repair on a regular basis.

I'm looking forward to Edward Capriolo's Cassandra book which Les will probably
find helpful.