I'm using cassandra as a tool, like a black box with a certain contract to
the world.  Without modifying the "core", C* will send the updates to all
replicas, so your plan would cause the extra write (for the placeholder).  I
wasn't assuming a modification to how C* fundamentally works.

Sounds like you are hacking (or at least looking) at the source, so all the
power to you if/when you try these kind of changes.

will