On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 9:27 AM, Donal Zang <zan...@ihep.ac.cn> wrote:
> On 22/07/2011 18:08, Yang wrote:
>>
>> btw, this "issue" of  not knowing whether a write is persisted or not
>> when client reports error, is not limited to counters,  for regular
>> columns, it's the same: if client reports write failure, the value may
>> well be replicated to all replicas later.  this is even the same with
>> all other systems: Zookeeper, Paxos, ultimately due to the FLP
>> theoretical result of "no guarantee of consensus in async systems"
>
> yes, but with regular columns, retry is OK, while counter is not.

I know I've heard that fixing this issue is "hard".  I've assumed this
to mean "don't expect a fix anytime soon".  Is that accurate?
Beginning to start having second thoughts that Cassandra is the right
fit for my project which would heavily rely on counters to roll up
aggregates.

--
Aaron Turner
http://synfin.net/         Twitter: @synfinatic