One thing you might want to look at is the Apache Whirr project (which is
awesome by the way!).  It automagically handles spinning up a cluster of
resources on EC2 (or rackspace for that matter), installing and configuring
cassandra, and starting it.

One thing to be aware of if you go this route.  By default in the yaml file
all data is written under the /var folder.  But on a server started by
Whirr, this folder only has something like 4gb.  Most of the  hard disk
space is under the /mnt folder.  So you'll either need to change what
folders are pointed to what drives (not sure if you can or not...I'm sure
you could), or change the yaml file to point the /mnt folder.

--

Thanks,
John C