From: Bill <b...@dehora.net>
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Sent: Sunday, September 4, 2011 4:34 AM
Subject: Re: commodity server spec

[100% agree with Chris]

China, the machines you're describing sound nice for mongodb/postgres/mysql,
but probably not the sweetspot for Cassandra.

Obviously (well depending on near term load) you don't want to get burned on
excess footprint. But a realistic, don't lose data, be fairly available
deployment is going to span at least 2 racks/power supplies and have data
replicated offsite (at least as passive for DR). So I would consider 6-9
relatively weaker servers rather than 3 scale up joints. You'll save some
capex, and the amount of opex overhead is probably worth it traded off against
the operational risk. 3 is an awkward number to operate for anything that needs
to be available (although many people seem to start with that, I am guessing
because triplication is traditionally understood under failure) as it
immediately puts 50% extra load on the remaining 2 when one node goes away. One
will go away, even transiently, when it is upgraded, crashes, gets into a funk
due to compaction or garbage collection, and load will then be shunted onto the
other 2 - remember Cassandra has no
 backoff/throttling in place. I'd allow for something breaking at some point
(dbs even the mature ones, fail from time to time) and 2 doesn't give you much
room to maneuver in production.

Bill