I have a column family for my main data, and I have been using an additional
column family to store indexes to the data: row per index style.

I now want to be able to update a set of indexes by the field being indexed on.
 To access that set, I can maintain meta indexes for each field, or I can
switch from RP to OPP and do range queries on field-prefixed index names.  Both
options seem less than ideal.  The first is annoying extra maintenance, and the
second means I may open a can of worms with load-balancing.

I concluded another option might be better with neither of those drawbacks.  I
can just create a ColumnFamily per field being indexed.  I can now easily
access and update the indexes for a particular field.

I'm wondering if anyone has also contemplated this
Column-Family-per-Index-Field option or is using it, and has any thoughts or
critique regarding it.

Ron