Hi!

Thank you for your last reply. I'm still wondering if I got you right...

> A partitioner decides into which partition a piece of data belongs
Does your statement imply that the partitioner does not take any decisions at
all on the (physical) storage location? Or put another way: What do you mean
with "partition"?

To quote http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/ArchitectureInternals: "...
AbstractReplicationStrategy controls what nodes get secondary, tertiary, etc.
replicas of each key range. Primary replica is always determined by the token
ring (...)"

> You can select different placement strategies and partitioners for different
> keyspaces, thereby choosing known data to be stored on known hosts.
> This is however discouraged for various reasons – i.e.  you need a lot of
> knowledge about your data to keep the cluster balanced. What is your usecase
> for this requirement? there is probably a more suitable solution.

What we want is to partition the cluster with respect to key spaces.
That is we want to establish an association between nodes and key spaces so
that a node of the cluster holds data from a key space if and only if that node
is a *member* of that key space.

To our knowledge Cassandra has no built-in way to specify such a
membership-relation. Therefore we thought of implementing our own replica
placement strategy until we started to assume that the partitioner had to be
replaced, too, to accomplish the task.

Do you have any ideas?