Ah, that explains part of the problem indeed. The whole situation still
doesn't make a lot of sense to me, unless the answer is that the default
sstable size with level compaction is just no good for large datasets. I
restarted cassandra a few hours ago and it had to open about 32k files
at start-up. Took about 15 minutes. That just can't be good...

I also noticed that when using compression the sstable size specified is
uncompressed, so the actual files tend to be smaller. I now upped the
sstable size to 100MB, which should result in about 40MB files in my
case. Is there a way I can "compact" some of the existing sstables that
are small? For example, I have a level-4 sstable that is 56KB in size
and many more that are rather small. Does nodetool compact do anything
with level compaction?