Eric,

Thinking even a little bit more about this...

We could go the distributed counter approach with additional column families to
support the ad hoc queries, but use triggers to implement it.  That would allow
us to keep the client-side code thin, but achieve the same result... without
necessarily replicating to Oracle for the attributes we can predict.

Maybe we'll take a look at that this week as well.

thanks again,
brian