On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 9:06 PM, Edward Capriolo <edlinuxg...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Also there are some tickets in JIRA to impose a max sstable size and
> some other related optimizations that I think got stuck behind levelDB
> in coolness factor. Not every use case is good for leveled so adding
> more tools and optimizations of the Size Tiered tables would be
> awesome.

Agree. We trieved leveled compaction, but that didn't work well for our
dataset and traffic. But something inbetween would probably be a nice fit
for us, a compaction model where you specify a max SSTable size, and then
your data would be split across (total size)/(max size) files. And extra
bonus points for applying generational thinking to it so that your oldest
data goes in the first file, next oldest in the next file and so on. That
way you'll have a nice separation of "dead" data and "active" data. Of
course I don't know if this is a better model than the current one, I'm
just guessing here. :-)

/Henrik