To clarify things

Our setup contains of 8 nodes of 32 gb ram...
with a heap_max size of 12gb
and heap new size of 1.6 gb

The load on our nodes is write/read ratio of 10 with 6 main Column Families.
Although the flushes of column families occur every hour with sstables
sizes of around 50-100 mb. The memtable size for those seems to be
around 500mb. (Is this 10-20 times overhead expected).

Also This is the first time I'm seeing max Heap size reached
Exceptions. Could there be a significant reason to this other than
that the cassandra server were running without restarting for 2
months,