You can create composite columns on the fly.

On 06/13/2012 09:58 PM, Greg Fausak wrote:
That's a good question.  I just went to a class, Ben was saying that
any action on a super column requires de-re-serialization.  But, it
would be nice if a write had this sort of efficiency.

I have been playing with the 1.1.1 version, in that one there are
'composite' columns, which I think are like super columns, but
they don't require serialization and deserialization.  However, there
seems to be a catch.   You can't 'invent' columns on the fly, everything has
to be declared when you declare the column family.

---greg