Hello,

Thanks for your replies.

DNS seems to be properly configured:

[root@beta:~] #host beta.jokefire.com
beta.jokefire.com has address 198.101.216.47

And I forgot the step to use the nodetool flush command. Taking it from the
top again:

[default@unknown] use system;
Authenticated to keyspace: system
[default@system] set LocationInfo[utf8('L')][utf8('Test
Cluster')]=utf8('Jokefire Cluster');
Value inserted.
Elapsed time: 31 msec(s).
[default@system] exit;

Then I ran nodetool flush:

[root@beta:/etc/alternatives/cassandrahome] #./bin/nodetool -host
beta.jokefire.com flush

Then I update the cluster name in the yaml file:

# The name of the cluster. This is mainly used to prevent machines in
# one logical cluster from joining another.
cluster_name: 'Jokefire Cluster'

And if I try to start cassandra I see the following error:

ERROR 11:32:45,278 Fatal exception during initialization
org.apache.cassandra.config.ConfigurationException: Saved cluster name Test
Cluster != configured name Jokefire Cluster
        at
org.apache.cassandra.db.SystemTable.checkHealth(SystemTable.java:299)
        at
org.apache.cassandra.service.AbstractCassandraDaemon.setup(AbstractCassandraDaemon.java:169)
        at
org.apache.cassandra.service.AbstractCassandraDaemon.activate(AbstractCassandraDaemon.java:356)
        at
org.apache.cassandra.thrift.CassandraDaemon.main(CassandraDaemon.java:107)

Not sure what else I might be doing wrong here, but it would be great to
hear what someone else thinks of this.

Thanks!
Tim

--